Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Human Needs


We live in a rather odd and confusing world. There are people starving in one part of the world, and in the other part, there are people plunking down thousands of dollars on a purse! That is just not right in my mind. People need to start eliminating their wants to their needs. Most people, and even myself, thing, “Oh, I just NEED this item” but do you really need it? Or do you just really want it? For me, I usually don’t need it but I tend to convince myself that my want is my need. For example, I often say, “Oh, I NEED a Starbucks coffee; I can’t get through my day without one.” And sure yeah, I do need coffee (haha) but do I really need a $5 coffee? Nope, I don’t. It would be realistic for me to get fair-trade coffee. Actually, for almost everything it would be a lot better if we bought fair-trade products. Really, I don’t get what is holding us back from buying fair-trade products. Yeah, sure, they are a bit more expensive but if we all started buying them, the price would go down. I really think the whole world has to start helping more. Like, everyone in the world needs to realize that things will really start getting out of control if we don’t start doing things. Starting to buy fair-trade products is actually not that hard to do yet it would be helping out the world lots! If we would all be more considerate of our needs and wants, I think it could potentially help the future. =) Now, if I go back to the question, “To what extent should I, as a citizen, respond to globalization” well, I can start buying fair-trade products.

No comments:

Post a Comment